Friday, November 6, 2020

Proprietary Spectrum Modem / Router and Static IPs

Hey everyone,

I've been building out a new site, and I'm attempting to get a secondary tunnel established over a Spectrum Business connection. I've bought a /29 and have a few devices that will be in this subnet. Normally I would install an edge switch and have all of my public facing devices connected here as one would expect. However, as I've just discovered, Spectrum has done a whole revamp of Spectrum Business and has these new proprietary modems and routers that don't have the configuration available I would expect to see.

Before I ask my question, I've called into their Tech Support line twice now and they have no idea what I'm asking about, so I'm hoping someone here has run into this and can point me in the right direction on what I need to ask them for specifically.

If I have their Spectrum Router directly connected to the modem, it will receive an IP within the range I've purchased. However, if I put my switch inline between the modem and their router it receives a DHCP address within an entirely different subnet instead. My own devices connected to the switch are unable to reach the gateway of the subnet I've purchased, however as a test if I change their WAN ports to DHCP they do get an address and can route to the internet.

Has anyone run into this or a similar issue? I've asked them if their upstream device has a MAC ACL or something that dumps the static config if it doesn't detect their router directly connected to the modem, but they have no idea. I would put their router in bridge mode if I could, but that does not appear to be a configuration they provide with these proprietary devices.



No comments:

Post a Comment