Friday, November 20, 2020

Polycom Phone Issue

TLDR: Polycom Phone NTP Breaks Inbound calls.

So I've got an interesting discovery to let Everyone know. After calling polycom and failing to get anyone to speak with me about anything ( no support contract) I made an interesting discovery and managed to fix the issue my self.

The issue I was having is the polycom soundstation ip 6000 which connects to voip.ms would make outbound calls just fine but when an inbound call was placed to the phone it's would ring on the polycom but you couldn't answer it. Almost like the buttons just stopped working. What's weird is that the person making the call would not hear any dialing on there end. Just silence.

After resetting, updating firmware, moving networks, checking firewall rules etc etc. I came to the conclusion the phone was broke.

I reset the phone once more and did the bare minimum to set it up, all I did was enter in the line info for voip.ms and that's it. Called the phone and poof it worked. Put it back in the conference room and left it working just fine.

I go back in a few hours later and my boss asks me to set the time on it, so I enter Google's ntp server and the time updates. Try calling it again to make sure it's still working and would you guess what it doesn't work again. I wipe the ntp server, reboot the phone again and hey look it works again.



No comments:

Post a Comment