Friday, November 13, 2020

Point to point link advice

I’m currently putting together a wireless network in a very wireless unfriendly environment, and was hoping to pick peoples brains on my plan and its pitfalls.

Basic setup

I’ve a small network setup (unifi kit) and I need to bring a few devices into it from a distance (200-500m approx). Looks easy. Unfortunately, it will be completely relocated regularly, line of sights are unreliable or non-existent and there will be a LOT of RF interference (think sports stadium levels).

My plan/idea is to use Ubiquiti AirMax as a point to point, with some wifi/ethernet bits on the far end for last hop. The NanoBeam ac Gen2 seems like the best bet for the link. Unfortunately, I’m not up to speed on point to point kit, so don’t know how well it will perform. Hopefully someone here has played with the kit and can take me beyond the basic sales claims.

Main questions

  • First, does anyone know anything better for the job, preferably in the same price range?
  • How well does the AirMax kit deal with blocked lines of sight?
  • How finicky is it to set up in practice?
  • What else have I likely missed?


No comments:

Post a Comment