Friday, November 6, 2020

Manufacturing VLAN Question

VLAN Neewbie here. Currently I don't have any VLANs setup on my network.

I know I need to, but I need some tips or clarification on how and why this should be done.

Here is my scenario:

I have a few manufacturing devices that are running an Embedded Windows OS.

These devices need to communicate with a Windows Server VM that has a software called Ignition installed on it and our DC for Authentication. In turn that Ignition VM needs to communicate with our production SQL VM.

If I put the embedded device in a VLAN (to keep it off the production network) But use intervlan routing to allow it to communication with my production vm's... What good does that do?

If it gets infected it will still infect the production VM's Right? what I am I missing? In theory VLANs make since, but when I try to put this in play, it just does not make any sense

 Is there a way to only allow certain types of traffic across the VLAN?



No comments:

Post a Comment