Tuesday, November 10, 2020

Looking for pointers to troubleshoot IKEv2 routing issue

Hello guys,

I am having issues with the VPN I am using and I am unable to pinpoint the issue. I am looking for pointers for fixing things, doesn't matter the direction. I basically do not know where to start.

The short version is:

When using OpenVPN I only get 10% of my usual speeds. When I use IKEv2 I get about 65% of my usual speed.

However, when using IKEv2 there are multiple services which are not working anymore. Means that I am unable to connect to their servers. For example https://statista.com won't load anymore, it does not matter which server I use. If I use the same server with OpenVPN, it works again. There are other services like Signal, CDNs of Reddit (which is extremely bothersome) and so on. I fail to see the connection here.

Alternatively, I tried to figure out what's going on with OpenVPN. I used a lower encryption method which improved the speeds a little bit but not drastically. I used SSH to create a HTTP Proxy from the VPN and reached similar speeds as I did using IKEv2 but since I would like to tunnel all my traffic through the VPN I think this might be a wrong approach meant for other use cases.

Anyone got any input for me? Thanks in advance.



No comments:

Post a Comment