Wednesday, November 25, 2020

Juniper EX9200 MC-LAG with VRRP for Layer 3 functionality

I need help understanding MC-LAG with VRRP for my implementation.

As per Junper's documentation you need VRRP over MC-LAG to use OSPF on your redundant core switches. But I'm confused about the benefit of having MC-LAG active/active if i am going to use VRRP.

I will be using MC-LAG as active/active which will enable both nodes to handle and forward traffic but VRRP doesn't work this way, it has one virtual IP which will forward the traffic to the node that has the VRRP highest priority, this means that i will lose the benefit of active/active since the traffic will be forwarded to one node that has the physical active IP.

Is my conclusion right and will there be a huge benefit using MC-LAG with VRRP rather than saving redundant uplinks to both cores?



No comments:

Post a Comment