Wednesday, November 18, 2020

Juniper Core-Switch Multicast Routing

Hi Guys,

unfortunately I don't know much about Multicast and need it way to less to get my head into it.

I was at a customer site yesterday who has a Juniper Core-Switch with multiple VLANs routed over that core.

Now someone is planning to add light automation stuff to the network (wired KNX gateways and Wifi tablets to control the light). No enterprise equipment and therefore no enterprise documentation.

The only thing I've found in the documentation is that the KNX stuff only talks to a multicast adress.

Yesterday both device type have been in the same VLAN. Since it didn't word I enabled IGMP for the VLAN-Interface. Long story short: the communication worked and then the network broke down (high packet loss. I guess the Multicast stuff brought down the net) so I needed to roll back.

I guess this could have been fixed with IGMP-Snooping.

Any idea what I need to do to archieve the communication without breaking the net?

In the next step the KNX-Gateway shall be put in another VLAN.

All the PIM/Multicast routing explanations in trainings are for multi-Router setups with one sender and multiple receivers.

Any ideas?



No comments:

Post a Comment