Tuesday, November 17, 2020

EVPN and the silent host problem

I think it's pretty well documented that with EVPN and ARP/ND Suppression you can run into what is termed the silent host problem in which a host, if it never speaks, is never learned, and therefore unreachable, because the EVPN fabric suppresses any ARP requests that would cause it to speak in reply. It's a real thing, for sure, as I see it in my labs often enough.

I have not seen this in production environments though. But my scope is somewhat limited. I'm having a hard time conceiving of a device I would have in my datacenter that just never talks, ever. It seems like everything is busy trying to chat about something, be it verifying it's next hop is there or begging some other Windows box to be its Netbios BFF.

My question is has anyone actually experienced this in any kind of production environment? If so what was it? How did you overcome the issue?



No comments:

Post a Comment