Tuesday, November 3, 2020

EIGRP Routing Manipulation - Bandwidth

Network Diagram

All switches are layer 3 switches.

Something I'm not understanding about EIGRP but if I'm running EIGRP processes, one of the main concepts of EIGRP is the minimum bandwidth of a link to a neighboring router/switch. If I leave in the defaults of 1000000Kb (1Gb) of bandwidth across the other interfaces but I modify the port connecting switch 2 and switch 3 to 300000Kb (300Mb), it doesn't make a change to the topology table in EIGRP.

One thing to note that I'm pondering as I'm typing this, is that between Switch 1 and Dist 1, the EIGRP process is running across a VLAN 'transit interface' for the routing between the two switches rather than at the physical interface. The same applies between switch 1 and switch 3. The routing process takes place across a VLAN 'transit interface' between Switch 1 and Switch 3 and not on physical interfaces. So layer 2 happens from switch 1 to switch 3 and then the neighbor relationship is formed.

Appreciate any insight you might have.



No comments:

Post a Comment