Monday, November 9, 2020

Does Imposter Syndrome ever go away?

I passed my CCNA R&S before the deadline this past January and my employer immediately promoted me off of the help desk into a new role as Network Administrator. Previously, my manager was the only person performing the networking functions for our company, but with my promotion he has passed most of those responsibilities on to me.

In the past 10 months I have been successful in implementing several projects, however, our network is pretty complex (at least to me). We have dozens of routers, some are from various vendors, several firewalls, and of course many switches. Our company spans across a small geographical area using direct fiber as well as VPNs. Ive tried to learn the network, but it just feels so overwhelming. We have ACL's and routes pointing to all sorts of devices and no real documentation besides a generic network map. I just feel like I am constantly in a battle to keep up with what is requested of me.

Lately I have had doubts that this position is really for me. I enjoy networking, but learning on the fly like I have had to so far has me feeling lost and inadequate at times, especially when dealing with vendors. I know imposter syndrome in IT is a thing, but will this feeling ever go away?



No comments:

Post a Comment