Wednesday, November 18, 2020

Between TCP/IP and the OSI model, which came first?

This might seem weird but according to this article the OSI model was invented in 1984, and this article says that TCP/IP was adopted by ARPANET in 1983. Which doesn’t make sense since TCP/IP was based on the OSI model.

When I did some further research I found another article that says that TCP/IP came 10 years before the OSI model.

Can someone clarify this? Was TCP/IP invented first but then was redesigned based on the OSI model or did the OSI model come first?

Edit 1: I was just repeating what my professor said when I said

TCP/IP was based on the OSI model

But I can’t find anywhere that says that tcp was based on OSI. Which raises the question, why are the two models always being compared?



No comments:

Post a Comment