Thursday, November 19, 2020

Best way to document data flow on a network? What to look at and install?

I am currently working on redoing all documentation at my job. I am using Visio. I have most of my network connections mapped out, and now I have to document the traffic flows.

Our layout is basically a core 6500, 3 separate ring networks starting at ending at the core, and access switches for industrial equipment(PLCs,etc).

What is the best way to document the traffic flow? Should I break it down for each VLAN? Since we have a ring topology, wouldn't data flow be self explanatory? For example, it would go from core to switch 1, switch 2, switch 3, switch 4 - switch 9, then back to core.

Anyone have any recommendations on how I should go about networking traffic flows? Besides adding netflow to the core switch?



No comments:

Post a Comment