Friday, November 20, 2020

40Gbase-LR4 over OM4 ?

I've got an installed based of OM4 between floors. I do not have enough strands available to use MTP to 8xLC type patch cables.

I know it's not spec'ed to work. I know that no equipment vendor will support it.

But... has anyone actually tried running 40Gbase-LR4 over OM4? Or seen any test results for it? What sort of distances might work?

I know any such functionality might get better with offset-launch patch cables. But, for the hassle and expense, I'll just lobby management to get SM fiber installed. That'll happen regardless, eventually. And at that point in time, I fully expect to populate things with 40Gbase-LR4 optics.

In the interim, I'm wondering what sort of distances I might get over OM4.

Anyone try it?



No comments:

Post a Comment