Tuesday, October 20, 2020

Wired internet connection works on 1 computer but not others.

Hello everyone, I’m not entirely sure this is the right place to post this but my searching on google has gotten me nowhere and I need help. I have quite a strange issue happening, only one computer seems to be able to connect over Ethernet on a wall port. First some background on the site. Connection is offered over WiFi through access points as well as wired connections. Wired connection requires no authentication, in other words you should just be able to plug any computer to any Ethernet jacks and be connected.

The issue is the wired connection from an RJ45 wall port stopped working for a MacBook using an Ethernet to usb-c adaptor. And when i say stopped working i mean suddenly it shows there is no wired connection at all. However, my windows laptop still gets connection just fine on the same wall port.

Here is my process to figure out only one computer gets internet on this specific port. My initial thought was the adapter or cable was the issue. So I grabbed a known good cable, and connected my windows laptop to the same wall connection using the new cable, and everything works just fine. Now thinking it was the cable or adapter I connected the MacBook to a pass through port on the access point in the room using the original cable and adapter, to my surprise this works just fine. I then grab another windows laptop and connect it to the original port that was not working for the Mac, and this laptop also doesn’t work. Same issue as the Mac, Ethernet shows it connected.

I am at a loss as to what the issue might be and would appreciate any help. Please let me know if you need any more clarification and I will answer to the best of my ability.



No comments:

Post a Comment