Saturday, October 17, 2020

Tracing cat5 wires through wall

Good evening, I am having a pretty tough time finding where the cat5 wires are going in my building. I bought a cat5 toner but had no success finding the end of the wire at the switch panel. This is the toner I have. (I traced it maybe 50 feet but lost it behind the 5th wall)

Noyafa NF-388-B Multipurpose Network Cable Tester Tracker Tracer Test Ethernet https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00BDI6O7Q/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_api_i_Cg7IFbNPQP9QE

After trying 5 different network cables in different rooms, I could not find the ends anywhere near the switches. Now I am looking at potentially getting another toner that potentially work better? The toner I have does not go through walls. Is there a better one that does?

I may get this one but just want to confirm if a digital toner works better than analog to trace through a wall? Sheetrock is about 5/8in thick.

Fluke Networks IntelliTone Pro 200 Toner and Probe Kit (MT-8200-60-KIT), IntelliTone Probe and Toner Kit https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00N2S6RPY/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_api_i_5k7IFbF7TW1MF

If this does not work, does anyone have an estimate on cost for tracing 100 wires throughout a 50k sqft building? I don’t have access to previous owners to ask any questions.



No comments:

Post a Comment