Thursday, October 1, 2020

Recommendation for quiet switch with multigigabit and SFP+

I have a team of 16 people which will be connecting to a NAS and working on it for photo and video editing. I want to give them a 10G connection, as it's become much more affordable. Not everyone in the team will need 10G, but I was hoping everyone could get at least 5G, as the adapters for those are a lot less inexpensive and there are multi-gig switches out there.

The switch will be in close proximity to them, and I don't want to pull a bunch of Cat6a cables to a closet because it's ugly and I'm lazy.

What I need:

- Quiet or fanless
- Desktop variant , as small of a footprint if possible
- More than 8 ports. 16 would be ideal. RJ45 preferred
- Either all ports 2.5/5/10G or mixed (for instance 8x 2.5/5G ports on some and rest 10G)
- No PoE is needed as they will only connect their macbooks to it.

I've done my homework and the closest I've found that matches wht I need is :

Zyxel XS1930-10
https://www.zyxel.com/products_services/10-12-port-Multi-Gigabit-Smart-Managed-Switch-XS1930-Series/

Though 10 ports only which is not as many as I'd like (maybe I could stack two of these on top of each other?).

Was hoping maybe someone here can share their thoughts.



No comments:

Post a Comment