Thursday, October 1, 2020

Post-Production Managed Switch - 10gb + 40gb connections

Hey All –

I thought this would be a good place to ask for some advice.

We are a small creative agency in Cleveland and have a fully unifi setup for our network. This includes a Unifi 16-XG switch which is run through a patch panel to our small network of workstations connected over CAT-6A. Right now we've been running a small set of servers, one of them connected to it through two 10Gbase-t connections that are LAG'd together through the unifi profile.

We're upgrading our server to an iXSystems M40-HA which features 40gb QSFP+ (I think it's +) ports on it. Right now we have our order in to split that connection into 4 x 10gb SPF+ connections but I think it would be much better to purchase a new switch that has one of those ports on it that we can break out into our workstations. iXsystems agrees but they don't seem to have a preference for a switch, only that it will work with nearly any managed switch and that eBay is a good source of cheap datacenter switches.

I'm curious if anyone can give me some guidance on this since a lot of the switches that are cheap scare me off a little bit because I've never worked with them before and something like a Juniper switch while nice, worries me because I'm not sure what kind of licensing issues I might run into with something like that.

As of now, we're only using half of the 16 ports on the unifi switch and are using transceivers to convert the copper to SFP+.



No comments:

Post a Comment