Friday, October 2, 2020

Issues with Cradlepoint WiFi as WAN Feature - IBR600LPE Routers

I've assumed the IT responsibilities for the company where I work. It's not my primary role, but we don't have anyone else that can do it right now (very small workforce). We have 2 groups that work almost exclusively in the field. Our primary needs are reliable internet access and wireless printing capabilities. To accomplish this, we use Cradlepoint IBR600LPE routers. We first check to see if there are ethernet jacks in the room that we're working in. If so, these work about 80% of the time. In about 20% of the cases, we are unable to connect (maybe MAC address filtering or dead ports?). From there, we attempt to use the WiFi as WAN feature. This has been a major disappointment, as I find that it almost never works (maybe a 20% chance that it will connect). We're then stuck with using 4G which is a major hassle.

I was doing some testing with the Cradlepoint yesterday in our office. I added a WiFi as WAN profile, and it didn't appear to work. I kept checking, and the the router was still on cellular. I got distracted with something else and realized that it had finally switched over to WiFi as WAN. I thought maybe it had something to do with the failback settings, but they seem to be okay. I'm not sure if changing the failback mode to "Time" would make a difference. Is it possible that I'm missing some configuration setting? When the Cradlepoint is on cellular and an ethernet cable is attached, it switches almost immediately (even seems to be faster than the failback settings). I have the WAN priority set as ethernet----Wifi as WAN----4G/Cellular.

I appreciate any help or advice.



No comments:

Post a Comment