Friday, October 23, 2020

Is this Sane. pt2.

I really want to thank everyone for their help with my previous post.

Based on further research spurred on by the comments, I'm changing up some things, mostly by not going with some of the Ubiquity equipment. I looked at myself and decided I was getting to hung up on familiarity, turnkey deployment and that single pane of glass; instead of taking the time to learn something new.

I've been giving 2nd and 3rd looks at Mikrotik for switching/WiFi, and the CCR2004 as well as OPN/PFSense options for the router.

Which leads me to some questions for those in the Mikrotik camp, mostly because once you start looking at wireless options; slogging through their site is kind of confusing. So, looking at the layout from my previous post (ignore the subnets, I'm updating a number of things based on that post):

- Residences will need WiFi, some with probably mesh for good coverage. Would the cAP ac be pretty much the equivalent to the UniFi nanoAP's? It doesn't look like the cAP has mesh support though. In fact, only the Audience seems to have this, but that makes no mention of management, and sounds like it's mobile app only for configuration, which I don't want; also looks like it functions like any normal consumer gateway, again, something we don't want because NAT.

- What would be a good choice for a light usage router to use at the "edge" of each house. (No NAT, just routing from the house's subnet, to our subnet.) Ideally, something with and SFP cage so I don't need a media converter for the fiber. Something in the hEX series, it looks like?



No comments:

Post a Comment