Thursday, October 15, 2020

Induced Voltage Protection - Cat5e

Does shielded Cat5e protect from induced voltage, and what is the best way to ground the cables back at the switch, through a shielded connector to the switch or is it better to have external grounds at the switch

Also any input on which is better, Foil shield (F), Braided shield (S), or (SF) Dual Shielded.

Reason im asking is because I have an unshielded cat5e network that I installed myself, setup has been great for years but had a lightning strike very close by. No signs of strike to the building or anywhere on our property but I guess because of the long runs in the attic space I induced voltage onto the network. Because I had a bunch of failed ports directly afterwards, I lost my ISP’s FiberModem, along with My Switch, IP Camera NVR, Media NAS , IP Phone system and a few Desktops.

Was able to Install new nics in the desktops and NAS. But the NVR has Dead Ports, a few dead cameras as well. And the IP Phone, switch, and my ISP’s Modem were trashed. I have replaced all the dead hardware and verified everything functions but have been skittish to leave everything plugged in because of possibly losing it all again.

Shielded cable seems like the obvious solution but can't find much online about Induced voltage concerns only direct lightning strokes. The only other solutions I have seen are Surge Protectors/Suppressors & Gas Discharge Tubes but they can add up in a hurry when you start pricing them out for all the runs.

Any other options out there I may have missed or any general input would be much appreciated.



No comments:

Post a Comment