Friday, October 2, 2020

How to troubleshoot network issues in industrial environments

Hi I'm a PC programmer working in the automation industry.

Our software communicates with several devices (PLCs, labelers, scanners etc), eventually one of the devices might have connection problems...

This is where I begin to struggle because my knowledge of networking is kinda limited. I'm looking for tips and tricks on how to diagnose issues aside from using the classic ping command. I have Wireshark and TCPView installed but i use them in very a basic way.

Here are some problems that happened recently, what should I check? 1) Can't connect to labeler socket from a NATted network but I can ping it. Socket connection works in a Lan. 2) Sometimes labeler socket communication drops and the only thing that fixes it is restarting the labeler.

I'm not looking for specific solutions for the above-mentioned problems, I just mentioned them so you have an idea of what i usually deal with, any suggestion is appreciated.

Thanks



No comments:

Post a Comment