Friday, October 30, 2020

How many VLANs make sense?

Hi all. I've got a new manufacturing customer with approx 225 devices. 8 switches, a point to point connection to another building, maybe 10 servers, and 13 access points. In the past with other clients, VLANing has been set up and I haven't need to touch it.

I'm thinking management, data, voice, guest, machinery. But, since I have a clean slate to work with, I was thinking about breaking off printers and servers to their own VLANs as well.

How far do you guys generally go with it? How many is too many? I mean, I could get away with data, phone, and guest and be good with it as I'm not running out of addresses, but just curious as to how you guys think about what NEEDS a VLAN as I'm not extremely verses in best practices.

Thanks for any input!



No comments:

Post a Comment