Saturday, October 10, 2020

Help me start the process of upgrading my network infrastructure

So my manager wants to upgrade our existing infrastructure and I need to start planning. I can hire a consultant, but I would rather propose my own solution before going that route.

Our core is a 6500.

Our core goes to a ring topology of IE4010s. There are a total of 10 racks which makes up the distribution.

So its

Core >> rack 1 >> rack 2 >> rack 3 >> rack 4 >> rack 5 >> rack 6 >> rack 7 >> rack 8 >> rack 9 >> rack 10 >> Core

We have 3 cisco 4010s in each rack separating 3 different networks. Each rack is about 200 yards from each other connected via sm fiber.

3 4010s in each rack=

1> Process

2> power

3> VoiP

They are all connected via 1gb fiber. The utilization on each of these switches is like 10-20% so i was thinking of integrating the 3 different switches into 1 switch, than have another switch under it for redundancy.

Proposed layout:

Switch 1 > Process, Power, Voip networks Switch 2 > redundancy, LACP etherchannels

Instead of having a ring topology, are there better ways i can connect this network? What about using tunnels to connect to each remote location from 1 core?



No comments:

Post a Comment