Friday, October 23, 2020

Fibre connection not initiating on powerup until un-plug/re-plug

Hi all,

We are purchasing new network switches for use in live theatre shows. These are mainly simple networks with fibre interconnects due to 100M+ distances and 1 or 2 VLANS to separate network traffic.

We have made purchase of FS switches which I understand are cheap'n'cheerful units but at least on paper meet our very basic requirements at a good price point. We have 1 unit so far and in basic testing have installed an SFP and hooked it up to another dumb Alloy brand switch (another cheap'n'cheerful switch) in our fleet using just an LC patch lead. All systems work and I can happily connect between the switches.

However when I power off the switches and then power them back on (an important test in our world as systems are powered down weekly at the end of a week) the fibre link does not come back. The FS switch shows conna ection on the SFP indicator light/management port but the B switch does now show connection. If I un-plug the fibre patch lead for a moment and plug it back in, we are all good again.

This issue seemed only limited to the Alloy B-switch. A different switch (a dumb Netgear switch) with the same SFP and fibre cable, was able to power up and connect with no issues.

I have contacted the vendor to try and get some more info here, but I just wanted to ask those far more experienced if this is a networking 101 thing I'm missing or something else?

I imagine my post is probably missing critical information but I thought I'd at least put out the intial question!

Cheers



No comments:

Post a Comment