Monday, October 12, 2020

Fair interview questions for a Level 2/3 Engineer position from a non-network guy.

So i've been asked to help interview for a networking position. (I'm not looking for people to do my home work. Just fair categories.)

What are some fair questions for folks that say they have a CCNP for networking.

Keep in mind we're expecting this person to run independently. So seeking these sorts of things.

  • "We need a new ipsec tunnel to X from Y)
  • We're adding new sites. Need you to configure the SDwan and wi-fi.
  • Looking to peer the DC's to the other one over BGP.
  • We want to reconfigure our network schema and take in input on a more agile design between our various segments etc.
  • Update the cert on the client VPN.

Thing is as sec guy i've never been a straight network engineer. I get my part as the main FW guy, and other sort of off hand things around networking. But if you asked me to configure BGP or OSPF, IPSEC tunnels etc i'd have to do a lot of research.

I know the security questions to ask networking wise that are on my level. Or certain packet capture questions that help troubleshoot traffic issues. (Such as TCP syn failures or cert handshake issues)

I'm just trying to be fair. I got told the last questions I asked were a bit too unfair for non-sec folks. (Keep in mind i'm going to ask security questions because at this level everyone should have some ideas/knowhow. )

Thanks for the help.



No comments:

Post a Comment