Friday, October 16, 2020

Enabling FEC on 100Gb ports - Cisco

When testing 100gb fibre ports between a Cisco 9500 and a Juniper with a direct fibre between the two I had to disable FEC on the Cisco port in order for the fibre to come up. I was aware of this before hand from a little reading so I knew to disable FEC to bring it up.

I've now got these devices in a DC (still a test environment) connected via a point to point so I decided to look at it again I noticed you can also enable FEC on the Juniper side but only at FEC91. That's fine though because the Cisco has that as an option.

However with this enabled on both sides the link does not come up.

Is it a good idea to have FEC enabled?

I'm thinking it's now not coming up either due to not using an 'official' Cisco 100Gb module or perhaps due to the 'point to point' circuit not being a direct fibre between the two sites?

Seems lots of people have this problem so just disable FEC but is this bad practice?

thanks



No comments:

Post a Comment