Wednesday, October 28, 2020

Edge Routers

Hi. I work at a large community college with 25,000 students, where we use an HP Enterprise HSR6602-XG router. We own our own /23 public IP network, with our own AS Number, so we do not rely on ISP's to provide us with IP's. We have our own subnet with ARIN. our router feeds into a HA pair of Fortigate firewalls (managed by someone else)

We have two ISP feeds, to which we have a BGP connection to, and the edge router takes care of choosing the best path in and out. Therefore, we download the entire bgp tables into our router.

HP networking is now Aruba and as far as they have told me, they are not developing a direct replacement for this line of routers, as of yet. Our routers reach end of engineering support in 2024.

As I'm unfamiliar with the world of edge routers, as I deal mostly with campus switching. What router products are out there that can download the full BGP feeds from two ISP's?

My manager is already cringing at the idea of hearing "Cisco", as he despises their support contract system + cost. I've heard Juniper thrown around as well. I don't want to combine routing in with our next gen firewalls because I absolutely do not want that functionality combined into the firewalls.

TIA!



No comments:

Post a Comment