Friday, October 30, 2020

Co-Channel Interference/Contention: Where do you draw the line?

We have some buildings with ~7 APs per floor. The 2.4Ghz signal is so strong that an AP on floor 3 can see APs from floors 1-6 all on the same channel, with the weakest signal being -70db.

For example, AP on floor 3 (ch11) sees the following APs on ch11:

Floor 5 (-43db)

Floor 3 (-52)

Floor 2 (-59)

Floor 5 (-66)

Floor 6 (-70)

Naturally, we have a controller that manages the radios. It is configured to avoid interference. The controller also claims the co-channel interference is eating up 80-90% of the channel's capacity. I want to turn the radios down, but don't know where I should draw the line.

Our customers are complaining about slow speeds and losing connections intermittently. That makes sense to me because if so many APs are fighting for air time with each other, the speeds are going to drop significantly. I'd love to just get rid of 2.4Ghz but that's not possible right now, nor is band steering.

I've adjusted the Cisco controller's power threshold to -65 from -55. The min power level assignment is at 17 (-10 to 30 dBm scale). This is what I will lower next after I figure out how much co-channel contention is too much.

Bring in a professional to sort this out

Sorry, can't. Our budget was wrecked by covid. I've inherited this problem from a recent retiree and am not an expert. I also have no money to spend on it. I have a decent grasp on the basics of wifi, but I'd love some direction before I start making bigger changes in production.



No comments:

Post a Comment