Saturday, October 17, 2020

Cisco SG300-52P - Cannot figure out cable needed for console access

I am having a very difficult time trying to find the correct console cable and adapter configuration to connect console access on a SG300-52P switch. To make matters confusing, this Cisco model is apparently one of the only Cisco models that does not use the standard DTECH DB9 to RJ45 Console Cable Cisco Device Management Serial Adapter

To make matters worse, I think the device may be stuck in a frozen boot and console access is the only way to fix it. Factory reset does not work at all no matter how long I hold the reset button.

From here I have went into a downward spiral of finding tons of posts online of people having issues connecting to the console and few times people found solutions I can't make sense of them. "needed null model did it", "needed a 1-1,2-2,3-3".

I'm stuck in a place of now I have no idea if I have the right cable or I'm doing the wrong commands with minicom, putty, and screen (Ubuntu system). My laptop is Ubuntu 20 with just USB ports, it does not have serial ports.

Here is what I have so far

Attempt Cable Research Works Notes
1 DTECH DB9 to RJ45 Console Cable Cisco Device Management Serial Adapter Amazon search "cisco console cable" No Cable not supported at all on SG300-52P
2 USB to RS232 Adapter with PL2303 Chipset, CableCreation 6.6 ft USB 2.0 Male to RS232 Female DB9 Serial Converter Cable for Cashier Register, Modem, Scanner, Digital Cameras, CNC,Black Customer Questions and Answers section said it worked for Cisco switches. According to Cisco Forums this model needs a "standard 9 pin straight through" No I am left confused so begin purchasing other cables.
3 TECHTOO USB 2.0 to RS232 DB9 Serial Cable Female Converter Adapter with Prolific PL2303 Chipset for Win10 8.1 8 7 Vista XP 2000 Andorid Linux Mac OS X 10.6 and Above (3ft/1m) Customer and Answer section said Used this to connect to a Cisco SG300-10 managed switch / router. It didn't need any drivers from Windows 10.Prior to this type of cable, you would need to use [[ASIN:B00IDSM6BW Sabrent USB 2.0 to Serial (9-Pin) DB-9 RS-232 Converter Cable]] along with a Female to Male converter. No More research and even more confused now

I don't know what to do and I'm losing my mind buying cable after cable.

The content creator on the frozen boot video responded to a what cable do I need question with

"Female-to-female 9-pin D-connector cable, the SG300s come with one in the box. Pins all connected 1-1, 2-2, 3-3, etc. "

Amazon shows this cable. How do I even plug this into my laptop it is serial on both sides? Will this work with the cables I purchased above?

On the second cable I purchased, I later found a customer review by a guy with the exact model I have saying this

the answer was to buy a small in-line db9 null model adapter and add it before the Cisco console.

Amazon shows this StarTech.com DB9 RS232 Serial Null Modem Adapter - F/F - Null modem adapter - DB-9 (F) to DB-9 (F) but if I buy this will it work with the cables I purchased above?

At this point I am very confused and feel like I'm just guessing by just buying cables and adapters and it's starting to become expensive and frustrating.

What cable combination and adapters do I need for this?



No comments:

Post a Comment