Friday, October 16, 2020

A single "device" keeps bringing my whole network down

Few weeks ago my network is down, can ping the main router but can't login, looks like the router freezed. The router looks fine except that Internet Connection alarm light is red. During the troubleshoot I tried rebooting and rearrange cables but no luck.

Finally I have to isolate the network and found out that one device is causing the problem. There is a Macbook pro connected to a 12 ports mac dongle with monitors, "network cable" connected and such.

After unplugging the cable from the dongle, rebooting the macbook and then plug it back usually solve the problem "immediately", like unplugging this cable and then the network just fully restored in a second. However yesterday this problem happens again when that macbook wasn't even turned on.

At first i thought this problem could be a mac loop detect port down, but this time it wasn't even turned on. I have to tell the dude to just use wifi for a while until I fix it.

The network structure is super simple, its just a router out 2 switches(port1, port2), and the problem occurs on the port 2 switch device. I haven't tried to turn off the mac loop detect yet.

I have no idea how to troubleshoot this problem further.



No comments:

Post a Comment