Thursday, September 10, 2020

Use Dell switches for inter site routing? I'm 99% sure I can do this but having a issue wrapping my brain around it

I'll try to make this as short as possible. Main building with all network resources and three branch locations. Two of the branches were connected with T1 lines and a outside company at the time put in Cisco 1921 routers.

Over the years we have changed out the T1 lines for 50/50 private Ethernet lines (logically a really long patch cable) and the router configs were simply switched from using the serial port to E1. Nothing else was changed. These routers are now EOL. Looking at Cisco's offerings it seems kinda expensive for this simple routing job which other then the standard routing stuff is a QoS rule for VoIP.

The main building has at the core a Dell N3048 and each branch has a Dell N2048. Is there any reason I can't just get rid of all the Cisco 1921 routers and have the Dell switches do the routing? For some reason in my head it's ingrained that the switches are switches and routers are routers and that's it. We have 4 VLAN's defined and the switches are doing the inter vlan routing currently. I also did some searching and I could not find any examples of people doing this. The only thing I have to worry about is QoS for our IP phones but thats already enabled on the Dell's.

This should be easy right?



No comments:

Post a Comment