Thursday, September 10, 2020

Tracing wires

Is there a way to easily trace or figure out how the house is wired for cat5e? I've got few outlets where they had phone jacks before but the cabling used was cat5e. There were two wires at each outlet. I reterminated the wires with the cat5e jacks. But I've found that not all jacks are connected to each other. So it looks like they don't all connect somehow. But I figure they must have terminated them somewhere. I just want to be able to find where they all terminate so I can connect them with a switch, etc. I do a cheap wire tracer but it's not that great as it doesn't pick up the signal behind drywall easily. It can certainly tell me which tow ports are connected but tracing part is bad. So I'm trying to understand how should I go about identifying these wires. Do I get an electrician? Or low voltage contractor to trace them? How much should I be looking to pay for such job? It's also odd that if it was used as telephone jack, I would have thought all of these jacks must be on same wiring.



No comments:

Post a Comment