Wednesday, September 16, 2020

Shared Laptop Wi-Fi alternative

Hello!

I built a PC about a year ago now, but it does not have built-in wifi. With my graphics card, I cannot fit a PCIe wifi adapter and I've had terrible luck with latency using USB dongles. What I've been doing is using my MacBook Pro Mid-2010 as a bridge (I think that's the right networking label). Here is the sequence of how I'm connected to the internet on my PC.

PC > Ethernet > MacBook (with shared Wi-Fi on) > Wi-Fi > Router > Ethernet > Modem

I recently upgraded my Mac's RAM and got a SSD for it and I want to replace the battery soon. To try and preserve the new battery, I don't want to keep it plugged in all the time like I do now. I was looking up alternative devices to do the same setup but just replacing the MacBook in the sequence. I looked up using a Raspberry Pi 4 to do it, but it looks costly and I am not super comfortable with programming yet.

Does anyone have a suggestion for a replacement device?

I'd also like to know if there is a way to have the same setup, but have it configured like the PC is directly connected to the router while passing through another device. I ran into issues with trying to set up a server on my PC but couldn't figure out how to pass through the MacBook's Wi-Fi card.

Thanks in advance. :)



No comments:

Post a Comment