Thursday, September 10, 2020

Server visible by only some machines in the same network. I need some help.

Hello, I hope this is the right place for this question. I'm not a network administrator, just a user, but the network in question is definitely an enterprise one. I know your first answer would be "let your IT team figure it out", but what I'm trying to do here is to work around the idiocy of said IT team, so I don't want to draw too much of their attention on this (no, I have no risk of getting fired for it even if IT finds out and is not happy). This is the network situation:

$wired - wired network (whitelist access to it)

$wifi1 - wifi, wpa2-eap protected

$wifi2 - wifi, wpa2-eap protected

$wifi1 and $wifi2 have two different SSIDs, but I'm relatively confident the user is getting authenticated by the same server (i.e. the network is basically the same).

I have a server, let's call it $server (a Synology NAS), that is connected to $wifi2 (through a raspberry pi acting as wireless network card, as $server can't have one installed, and IT doesn't want to whitelist it for $wired). Here's my problem:

  • $server has internet access (so the connection is working and is configured properly)
  • $server is reachable by all machines connected to $wired
  • out of 6 machines that I've tried, connected to both $wifi1 and $wifi2, only one can reach $server (the one that can reach it is connected to $wifi1)

This is driving me nuts. I don't understand how one single machine connected to the wifi can reach the server, but not all the others. Either all should be able to reach it, or none, right? Can anyone suggest how to troubleshoot this, given the "user only" access that I have to the network?



No comments:

Post a Comment