Tuesday, September 1, 2020

Overlay network mesh options: Nebula, Wireguard, Tailscale

Hi all, I am trying to find an open-source alternative to Tailscale that offers similar speed to Wireguard. Preface, I'm not much of a networking guru. I understand that a solution might just be to "set it up myself with wireguard" but am looking to simplify the process if possible.

I want to run kubernetes nodes on VM's that live on different networks, which are both NAT'ted and un-NAT'ted. I also need to be able to add and remove nodes from the network dynamically (static config would not work well in my case). I believe the best option here is a low-latency VPN. Tailscale makes this very easy. You install it and start it and it just works, UDP hole-punching included to get across NAT's and easily adding network nodes dynamically. However, Tailscale is freemium and closed source.

Nebula by slackhq does something similar. However, looking into it more closely, it runs at half the speed of wireguard. If it ran faster this would be perfect.

The best option would be some open-source solution that utilizes linux kernel wireguard, and can dynamically add nodes to the network while providing UDP hole-punching. I've been unable to find anything like this, so wondering if the community has found anything good for this.



No comments:

Post a Comment