Tuesday, September 29, 2020

Overcomplicating Network design?

Reddit, I need some guidance. I work for a rapidly growing startup, and am in the process of redesigning their current Network infrastructure.

For all of the access switches, I am stacking several Dell N2048 in each IDF. For some context, there are three floors, with roughly three to four IDF per floor. There are also various 24 and 48 Port patch panels leading to various laboratories.

I want to know if I'm over complicating the following, right now I have each switch stack with the next available IP, for example, ground floor, IDF A has three switches stacked, and share the IP address of 192.168.10.10. IDF B switch stack is 192.168.10.11, and so on and so forth.

My goal, was to change each floor to have its own set of IP addresses that correspond to its floor. For example all switches in IDF A, B, C, ect. on floor 1 would be 192.168.10.x, and 2nd floor IDF would be 192.168.10.2x, 3rd floor, 192.168.10.3x.

My logic behind this, I figure if you're trying to hit one of the excess switches on the second floor for example you can just simply hit 192.168.10.2x, and easily know where you are.

Since switches will be stacked in most cases, using up the entire floor IP shouldn't happen.

Or just tell me I'm crazy, and just label all of them one through 20ish and if they're labeled call it a day.



No comments:

Post a Comment