Tuesday, September 1, 2020

Numerous new data drops aren't working, but standard cable testers say it's fine. Is there a fancier device I can buy/rent that will give more info on in-wall cabling?

We recently had a small ~3,000sq/ft office wired for data, CAT6a. I've found a few data drops that don't seem to work; devices won't communicate with the switch when using them (but using the same device and switchport, but over another drop works fine).

Confoundingly, the data cabling installers basic cable tester says the drops are fine, and my Fluke Intellitone Pro 200 also says that it's fine. Good contact on all pairs, but yet devices simply won't talk over these drops.

Is there some kind of higher quality network cabling testing device that I can buy/rent that will give more info? Something so that I can go back to my cabling vendor and be like "See? It's fucked. Fix your shit."



No comments:

Post a Comment