Friday, September 25, 2020

Noob question about routing/DNS

I have Frontier FIOS and love it. It's been nothing but great and cheap but today I came home and noticed my network was up but no pages would load so I looked at my router's logs and noticed somewhere around ~10 hours ago things went wrong with their DNS servers so I hopped on my desktop to check and same problem even though I have it configured to use Cloudflare's 1.1.1.1 service (my laptop is set to use automatic, so Frontier's). Within a minute or less Frontier's servers went back online after that so this outage didn't really affect me but now I'm stuck wondering why my desktop couldn't resolve domain names. Does my router's settings trump any OS level config or what's going on here? Edit: I realize this is for enterprise networking so if there is a better sub fit for this question please redirect me. I appreciate the help!



No comments:

Post a Comment