Friday, September 4, 2020

Modem Line Voltage/Current Question

I’m a radar maintenance guy who deals with modems from time to time. So apologies for what little knowledge I actually have.

I have modems that are running communications through a 66 block to a telephone company circuit then on to a remote unit in the field. My equipment recently took a lightning strike which ran through the 66 block, to my RJ45, and then ultimately to my equipment modem and fried it. I need to add lightning protection so this doesn’t happen again. Is there a standard voltage/current modems use to push the signals through on lines they’re connected to? I currently have 7.5v 350 milliamp lightning protection to install, but I’m not sure if this is the proper rating for these types of lines. Is there a universal standard or is it depending upon the modems manufacturer?

I hope this is the right sub for this. If not, no worries. Thanks for the help.



No comments:

Post a Comment