Tuesday, September 8, 2020

Leaving Higher Education for Private Sector

I'm debating on leaving my job at a medium size public University to go back to the private sector. The move would more or less be about money. I've been here about 4 years, and in the private sector 5 years prior. I can't say I'm unsatisfied with my current job at the college, in fact it's a good job for the most part, but I'm not satisfied with my pay, and with how budgets have been affected by Corona, the attitude from upper management is be happy you have a job.

I've had to fight for every raise I've received, and I'm getting a little tired of the grind to make what I feel I'm worth. My own manager has vocalized that I should be making more as I'm making less than others on my team with the same (if not more) technical expertise. That is not going to change with salary freezes for the foreseeable future.

Work/life balance is pretty good but I wouldn't say it's dramatically different than when I was working at a large corporation. In fact, at times I'm killing myself as you get hemmed into wearing a lot of hats in this environment. If I left I'd be forfeiting my pension, but receiving a refund of the contributions. So, it would have to be worth it money-wise.

I'm just on the fence, I suppose. Has anyone on r/networking moved from a decent/good job at a University back to the private sector, and what was your reason, and experience like?



No comments:

Post a Comment