Tuesday, September 15, 2020

Is 10Gb possible 10GBASE-T SFP+ Transceivers?

Starting to upgrade more systems to ones that have 10Gb built in, in the form of 10GBASE-T. Most workstations I oversee have already been connected via short runs of CAT6a (~ 12-20m). The quick solution to hook them up, would be utilizing the 10Gb SFP+ ports on the Juniper QFX-5100-96S “core” stack in my facility.

I’ve tested a small handful of SFP+ to 10GBASE-T transceivers, but I can’t ever seem to get better throughput than 5Gb/s. I’m sure there are better ones out there. I’ve been eyeing the SmartOptics, since that’s normally what I use for the QFX. I would also like to utilize some of the SFP+ ports on a handful of Brocade Ruckus edge switches, for the small handful of systems that are too far away.

My question is, as in the title, is it even possible to get full 10Gb out of an active adapter like this? If so, what brands would one recommend? Thanks in advance.



No comments:

Post a Comment