Tuesday, September 1, 2020

How many vendors do you deal with?

Hi all!

So recently I got to Thinking as it’s a topic that has come up very often at work. The idea of being a silo skilled engineer, or a jack of all trades. Now what I want to know is how many vendors do you think a good engineer should have a deep understanding to along with the technology space.I don’t just mean being able to push a policy, I mean being able to debug it deep dive. More so at times cross skilled across different technologies ( automation , AWS, Azure ). I’m still fairly new to networking and security (4 years) and at times I’m finding it hard to get certified on vendors as we support what I think is a lot for a single engineer to know (8 different vendors of firewalls +-) cloud based and on prem.

I have my preferences on vendors but I am more curious as to if I’m being a baby when it comes to how much I want to learn or if it is truly a case of too much? Also worth adding along with firewalls and azure there is still a good amount of routing and switching and wireless and some very limited VOIP..



No comments:

Post a Comment