Wednesday, September 30, 2020

How do I maximize throughput across multiple devices?

*Please feel free to remove this if this doesn't fit into the spirit of this subreddit

I work for a sensor company that normally communicates to a host PC using unmanaged 1Gb network switches (and to factory networks, etc.). We've recently made advances in sensor speed and multisensor stitching which is causing us to run into a bottleneck with our network throughput.

I've tuned the sensors to the bare minimum but I'm still at a (calculated) throughput of 600Mb. We've noted that when testing some low-end unmanaged switches we see packet collisions at around 200Mb and on some managed switches up to 550Mb before we note issues.

We've reduced the transmit rate of the sensors and that helps a little by transmitting larger chunks less often.

  1. Would I be looking at a switch with a large buffer (32MB is the max I believe) at 1Gb speeds to maximize throughput?
  2. Would using a 10Gb switch with a 10Gb PC/network and some SFP+ adapters be a better fit for this application?

If you have a resource to help me understand this I'd love to read them.

Thanks!



No comments:

Post a Comment