Friday, September 11, 2020

Core router migration

Hi all,

We're in the process of replacing our core L3 switches with new ones and the only thing missing is the routing part, everything else has been moved to the new core.

I'm looking for some advice on moving the routing with as little downtime as possible, so I'll list the steps we've come up with hoping you'll critique it and come with improvements.

The plan currently is to pull the network cables on the old core and activate config with routing configured on the new core for as low downtime as possible.

A little about the network:

The old core is two HP 5406zl using VRRP

The new core is a pair of HPE FF5940 setup in IRF

Both are connected to our Checkpoint firewall cluster and the rest of the network.

Routing is static routing (don't kill me, it was setup before my time) with transit networks between the cores and the checkpoints, everything behind the cores is L2 with VLANs.

Is there someway to do the migration with zero downtime? I don't think this is possible with static routing but I might be mistaken?



No comments:

Post a Comment