Tuesday, September 15, 2020

Colocation ESXI Networking Sanity Check

I'm getting ready to send a small dev server (a NUC) off to a colocation facility in another state, and I was wanting a quick sanity check regarding the configuration.

The colo provider has assigned us a /29, and instructed us to configure the following IPs:

  • xxx.x.xx.202-206 host addresses
  • xxx.x.xx.201 gateway
  • 255.255.255.248 netmask.

Here is the configuration:

  1. Server is running ESXi, and has one physical NIC.
  2. ESXi vmk0 management interface is set to static, and I configured one of the IP addresses in the block with the above settings. Will lock it down using the ESXi firewall to only allow connections from my IP range; turned off everything but web management.
  3. There is a VM running PFSense, configured with a WAN adapter on vSwitch0 (uplinks to the NIC) and a LAN adapter on an internal vSwitch with no uplink.
  4. PfSense WAN interface set to static, /29 subnet, with the upstream gateway listed above. LAN interface will hand out private IPs to future VMs.
  5. The remaining public IP addresses are configured as Virtual IPs/IP Alias in PFSense

I connected my laptop's ethernet to the NIC on the server, and set a static IP on the laptop that was in the subnet. Everything seems to be working as I would expect.

Am I missing anything?



No comments:

Post a Comment