Thursday, September 3, 2020

Calling other 'Unicorns'

I'm afraid I've become too much of a 'unicorn'. I've been interviewing, and I have not found a place that offers enough fodder to feed this 'Unicorn'.

I currently work on a team of 3 (Manger, Architect (myself) and and engineer) our daily duties include DataCenter (Cisco ACI and Palo Alto) Campus (Juniper and Palo Alto) Branch Office (Juniper and Palo Alto) Cloud (Palo Alto (transit vnet and vpc), AWS, and Azure), retail locations Fortinet (Fortigate, FortiAP, FortiSwitch)
We manage this with Infrastructure as Code which is done through Python and Ansible.

I came up through Sysadmin track, I have a deep understanding of Systems and I've been to Defcon pretty much every year since 2006 got my OSCP (Think it's now Pen Testing with Back Tracks) in 2008, and have a deep understanding of security ( Our security team is more policy driven and Network Team implements) I started 2 years ago I got really into Python and Ansible ( I couldn't stand programming previously to this; I just hunkered down and got over the hump) The deepest I went on Networking was my CCIE written in 2012 (never went for a lab).

My current certs include JNCIA Dev Ops, CCNP R&S(Expires this month have not reviewed the new curriculum) , PCNSE, OSCP, MSCE.

As I'm interviewing I noticed myself saying this place does not have cloud infrastructure, that place does not have Cisco ACI or Juniper, Palo is handled by the security team and not Networking at this location; no automation. I find this a turn off. Have I just become too much of a 'unicorn' to the point where I'm jaded?



No comments:

Post a Comment