Wednesday, September 30, 2020

Advice for my future

Hi all. I've been working with Networking (professionally) for 7 years now. I have a college degree in the field of Networking and IT-Security.

However, I feel just during these 7 years, that things have changed so drastically. From going from CLI to GUI. From going from MPLS to SD-WAN. From going from WiFi to 4G/5G. Work is being outsourced to India. Things are just so much more automated now.

Every day just feels like there is less and less need for a network engineer. I really can't see so much of a future in this. In the meantime I really love what I do, but its hard, when you feel its not worth it. I make quite good money.

I cant see myself to buying an apartment etc. just cause I feel my job is so... worthless in a sense, even though I support 100+ locations, wireless network for 2000+ users etc. I've been responsible for migrations from on-prem solutions of Wi-Fi to Cloud, from MPLS to SD-WAN etc.

What do you guys feel is for us in the future? Should I try to go to a ISP and get a management role? Am I just in the wrong field? I can take changes, but when they change so quick and fast, its just quite depressing to be honest. Does anyone agree?



No comments:

Post a Comment