Monday, September 7, 2020

"a cry for help" I need help fixing and setting up a network

Hi, So some background info, I am a computer science student currently, but my main expertise isnt networks, unfortunately I need to help out a family member that is in trouble, his main IT technician who is responsible for setting up the network at his work just left, and he didnt complete his job, and thats where i come in. Ive looked around and with my basic knowledge and some help from the internet ive gathered some info about what he did and didnt but my basic knowledge isnt helping me get the whole big picture since there is a lot of stuff that just keeps going wrong whenever i do some simple steps that i never thought would have such reprecussions.

He setup several Cisco SG 110 and 350 switches of different number of ports, 20 and 16. An issue I am facing here is that I dont really comprehend how setting up a switch works, from what I know, is that a switch is basically an extender for my modem, since for example i only have 4 ports on a modem and I have 10 PCs, then I have to get a switch so that I could plug in the rest, basically get one from the modem into the switch and connect my PCs to the switch, and basically voila everyone is connected, but what I am seeing right now is making me feel there is very much a lot more to it than that, especially after I read how there is a managed type of switch, smart switch, normal? switch.

There is also a windows server 2012 booted off a usb, now, from my knowledge which is unrelated to networks, booting off a usb is risky but for some reason he thought it was safer? Isnt the main case but just wanted to mention it. So the windows server, what is it? what is a server? All i knew and thought a server was, was basically that its storage that could be shared over the network. obviously not the case. and so where should I look or what do you recommend I do to know what to do with this?

The mess up that made me feel this is going to get out of hand is that, they were operating off of one 4g modem since the telephone cables/internet cables havent been connected to that part of town yet, and so it was ofcourse extremely slow, due to the number of people using it and due to the modem itself being very weak and internal antennas etc. So what I did was basically get a couple of stronger modems with higher speeds and external antennas, and I am sorry if it makes you feel bad, but just connected them to the network... Ofcourse if you know your stuff which I didnt and only found out after searching, the computers were assigned different IP addresses via the DHCP and for some reason some lost access to the network, i.e. the files shared on the windows server pc, and some lost access to the already weak internet that they had.

That sentence itself i am not honestly compleletly sure i understand it fully, that they were assigned different IP addresses via the DHCP, first off, what is the DHCP? and why did it change the IP addresses? and why should it matter that the IP addresses changed? if that is indeed whatever actually happened. A comment made by a sub technician working there is that we also need to stop the "DNS"? My knowledge on all of this basically is, IP address is the "number" of the PC, the DNS is the "phonebook", the domain would be the name but i cant see where it fits in this whole thing, and so why would changing the IP address stop the internet? and that the DHCP is something that is in the modem that assigns IP addresses automatically...

I can already expect if anyone is going to comment is that they would say, find someone and pay him, but we are already on a tight budget and without revealing too much info there isnt a lot of people we can trust here with setting it up, especially after as I said the first one just "abandoned" us.

I am ready to do the research and work, I just hope that if someone has the patience, time, good, that they would help out by anything, explaining or directing me, anything.

Thank you and good luck with everything.



No comments:

Post a Comment