Friday, August 21, 2020

What would be the appropriate job title/description for me?

Thought I'd ask more experienced people because I have a hard time figuring out what my exact job title is and part of it is lack of confidence and experience.

Quick summary... started working for a small ISP/VoIP reseller in CA as tech support helpdesk, basic stuff, the usual take a call internet is not working, power cycle router, ATA, etc, etc, that was a couple years ago but I started getting into networking so I took a CCNA course for a few months mainly because I like networking but also because one of my perks at my work is having full access to all the equipment and infrastructure this includes the multiple MSANs we have with different modules for ADSL, SHDSL, T1, FXS, VDSL, etc cards on them, DSLAMS, access to the softswitch for VoIP, etc.

I don't have my CCNA cert yet but what I currently do is manage the network, work on tickets with high level issues, I have to work on the multiple interfaces/links for the different internet connections we have to subscribers, look for errors, get dispatch for techs going if there is a physical issue, otherwise change the interface rates/configuration that might impact customers, work on EFM groups, T1s, ADSL, SHDSL, etc, I also do the IP routing for public IPs for the customers that want them, work on our main Cisco ASA with access lists, traffic filtering, etc, I also analyze traces for SIP calls and look for routing/trunking issues, packet loss, bad quality, etc, and work on CPE troubleshooting as well.

The other day a customer was down and no one caught wind of it because it seemed like a regular customer that was down, upon my analysis and troubleshooting I found out that the reason why he was down was because our network was being hacked and they were attacking through SSH on some of our CPE routers, I had to go through several analysis and troubleshooting steps all the way to the ASA to locate the hack, find out what else they were doing and block them.

I'm asking for a raise because I think I'm doing way more than your regular pick up a call and assist a customer with basic troubleshooting steps but I'm having a hard time figuring out what my exact position is in the first place, all I know if that I do a lot and I'm not being valued as I should. Please help me.



No comments:

Post a Comment