Tuesday, August 11, 2020

Using a WiFi extender w/ethernet to connect to a Remote Access Point due to unique situation. Wondering if I can optimize the extender for my needs...

I started working from home a month ago. As a result, my company gave me a Remote Access Point so I can connect directly to my company’s network. The problem is I don’t have direct access to my router, so I was unable to plug my Remote Access Point directly into my router.

As a workaround, I purchased a NETGEAR WiFi Range Extender EX6120 which has an Ethernet port, allowing me to access my network via the extender then plug the extender into the Remote Access Point.

I have a relatively fast WiFi connection with my router. I generally get 150-250 Mbps down. I ping on average at about 5ms.

However, when I use my computer with my Remote Access Point, it’s giving me about 25-75 Mbps down. I notice the speed constraints often when working.

My question is: is there anyway I can reconfigure the WiFi extender so it’s optimized for my situation? I’m basically using it solely to tap into my network and use the Ethernet port to connect to my Remote Access Point. I’m not even using it as a wifi extender. It’s generating an extender network which I don’t need but I just set it up that way.

TL;DR: I got a Remote Access Point to work from home. Don’t have direct access to my router. Got a WiFi extender w/Ethernet port to connect my access point. My WiFi speed compared to the speed I get out of extender is 75% slower. Is there anything I can do to the configuration to make it faster? *Note: I don’t use the WiFi extender network. Just using it to tap into my network and use the Ethernet port. *

I appreciate the help. 🙂



No comments:

Post a Comment